Safe Surrender

If you decide you cannot keep your baby and want the baby to be adopted, there is a safe and responsible solution.

Safe Surrender means you or a responsible adult can place your unharmed baby, up to seven (7) days old, in the temporary custody of a:

  • Health Care Provider
  • Law Enforcement Officer
  • Social Worker
  • Ambulance/Emergency Worker
  • Any Responsible Adult (who will then notify DSS or Law Enforcement)

You do not have to give any identifying information.

When you give your newborn up, he or she is taken to the nearest hospital.  There the child is checked and the Stokes County Department of Social Services will be contacted.  The Department has a list of families approved to adopt and foster children.  A family who will provide a healthy and safe home will be chosen for your newborn.

The Department is also an adoption agency.  DSS will do all the necessary paperwork to complete the adoption as quickly as possible.

If you need someone to talk to, a social worker will be there to listen and help.  Everything you say will be confidential.  

Where You Can Leave Your Baby

Ambulance/Fire/County Law Enforcement


Stokes County Department of Social Services
1010 Main Street
Danbury, NC 27016

(336) 593-2861


1570 Hwy 8/89 North
Danbury, NC 27016

(336) 593-2831

Forsyth Medical Center
3333 Silas Creek Parkway
Winston Salem, NC 27103

(336) 718-2001

Wake Forest University
Baptist Medical Center
Medical Center Boulevard
Winston Salem, NC 27157

(336) 716-3513

Law Enforcement

Stokes County Sheriff’s Department
1012 Main Street
Danbury, NC 27016

(336) 593-8787

King Police Department
110 West King Street
King, NC 27021

(336) 983-0886