Adult Protective Services

Disabled adults are vulnerable to abuse, neglect, and exploitation.  The Stokes County Department of Social Services receives and evaluates reports to determine whether disabled adults are in need of protective services and what services are needed.

Services may include:

  • Planning and counseling with disabled individuals and families
  • Arranging substance abuse services
  • Arranging appropriate housing and long-term care options
  • Coordinating the delivery of appropriate services when a resident’s rights have been violated in an adult care home or nursing home
  • Providing assistance to family caregivers to prevent further incidents of abuse, neglect, or exploitation
  • Arranging for the provision of legal services regarding fraud and consumer scams
  • Counseling regarding health related matters
  • Arranging for resources

The Adult Protective Services Social Worker also assists with placement, guardianship, advance directives, and involuntary commitment when needed as part of the adult’s protection plan.

How To Make A Report

Disabled adults or disabled emancipated minors present in North Carolina who are reported to be abused, neglected, or exploited, and in need of protective services are eligible to receive this service without regard to income.

To make a report, please call (336) 593-2861 Monday-Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm.  If you need to make a report after 5pm or on a weekend or holiday, please call 911 or (336) 593-8139.

NOTICE: Do not send adult abuse or neglect referrals through email or this website. Please call 336-593-2861 during normal hours. 911 or (336)593-8139 (after hours). Thank You!

Required Information

The following information must be provided when a report is made:

  • The name and address of the disabled adult
  • The name and address of the disabled adult’s caretaker
  • The age of the disabled adult
  • The nature and extent of the disabled adult’s injury or condition resulting from the abuse, neglect, or exploitation
  • Any other pertinent information

You can find an APS Brochure HERE.