OFFICE OF THE SHERIFF
Mike Marshall, Sheriff
(336) 593 –8787
1. Have good moral character.
2. Be a resident of Stokes County.
3. Be 21 years of age or older.
4. Must not be subject to a court order that:
A. Was issued after a hearing of which the person received actual notice, and at which the person had an opportunity to participate;
B. Restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of the person or child of the intimate partner of the person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child; and
C. Includes a finding that the person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of the intimate partner or child; or by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against the intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury.
5. Must not be under an indictment or been convicted in any state, or in any court of the U.S., of a felony.
6. Must have been a citizen of the U.S. and/or have not renounced his or her citizenship.
7. Must not be a fugitive from justice.
8. Must not be an unlawful user of or addicted to marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance.
9. Must not be adjudicated mentally incompetent or ever been committed to any mental institution.
10. Must not have been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
11. Must not be in the United States illegally.
12. Must have a valid photo id with current address information.
Permits are typically given to the individual at the time of application, If no one is available at the time of application to complete the background or there are items located on your record that require additional investigation, then your permit may be delayed. The Sheriff has 30 days to issue or deny the permit. This permit is valid only in North Carolina and is valid for five years from the date of issuance. A Permit to Purchase does not in any way authorize you to carry a weapon concealed in public. If you should have to transport a weapon while in an automobile, unload it and lock it in the trunk. If you carry it under the seat, you could be charged with carrying a concealed weapon. Should you decide to sell or dispose of your handgun, you should require the purchaser to obtain a valid permit. And remember, always keep your handguns stored out of the reach of children.
Pistol purchase permits are $5.00 to apply and you may obtain 2 permits per application. You may only file one application per day. You must have your driver’s license/ government ID with you when you apply and it must have your current address correct on it.
Applications are accepted Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
Use the links below to download an application in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. Please print clearly all information on the form. If we can not read your information, you may have to complete it again at the time of application. If you have questions regarding this process, please feel free to contact the Sheriff's Office directly at 336-593-8787. Thank you.